By Karen Maxwell
I’ve made this salad for tons of guests, and it’s always a hit! The sweet pineapple is a great treat for summer, and it’s a fun side dish if you’re someone who eats a ton of chicken breast!
- 1 pineapple
- 1 large or 2 small red peppers, roughly chopped
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c crumbled feta cheese
- 2 c arugula
- 1 c sweet pea shoots (or other microgreen)
- 4 small chicken breasts, boneless & skinless (4-5oz)
- 1-1/2-2 c basmati rice
Chicken Cooking Instructions:
- Chicken on the BBQ is the very best in terms of getting the most flavour.
- If you prefer to marinate your chicken, avoid sugary ingredients as this will increase the risk of burning.
- I prefer my chicken unmarinated, but with what I suspect might be a dry bird, I use a beer:olive oil marinade in a 3:1 ratio and throw in whatever spices might compliment what I’m putting on the side (cumin and chili powder in this case).
- Start with a hot grill, and cook your chicken until cooked through/firm to the touch.
- Turn each side twice to get fancy grill marks!
Rice Cooking Instructions:
- Cook Basmati rice according to directions on package and set aside.
Grilled Pineapple Salad Preparation:
- While your chicken is cooking, peel and trim the pineapple and chop into bite-sized pieces after removing the core.
- Saute them quickly in a very hot pan, preferably a cast-iron grill pan. (All you want is to get some brown and grill marks on them to release their sweetness.) Alternatively you could slice them into rounds and grill on the BBQ, but don’t let them soften too much and be sure to remove the core when cutting up for the salad.
- Once you have some grill marks, put the pieces into a large serving bowl.
- Add the red pepper, green onion, arugula and olive oil. (The warmth of the pineapple won’t wilt the arugula much – it stands up pretty well to heat; it will just get a little softer and greener.)
- Add the feta and mix well just before serving. (It’s the salt element, so no extra salt is needed!)
Add the pea shoots as a garnish when serving and enjoy!
Based on 5 oz chicken breast, 1 c of salad and 1/2 c rice (as pictured)
- 487 Calories
- 52 g Carbohydrates
- 15 g Fat
- 36 g Protein
For a smaller portion, try 3 oz chicken breast, 1 c of salad, and 1/4 c rice:
- 378 Calories
- 41 g Carbohydrates
- 14 g Fat
- 22 g Protein