By Valerie Heart
This coconut curry soup is easy to make and has soooooo much flavour. Plus, it tastes oh so good on a cold winter day! Yummy and different.
- 1 butter nut squash
- 1/2 purple onion
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 container of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and place on cookie sheet upside down. Bake for approximately 1.5 hours or until a fork can pierce through it.
- Let squash cool and then scoop out the inside and puree in a blender until smooth.
- Chop up your veggies into small pieces and add to a large stock pot
- Add your veggies along with chicken broth, coconut milk and spices to the pot and simmer on medium heat for 30 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- Let the soup cool and then puree until vegetables are blended in and you get a smooth finished product.
*This soup is gluten free and can also be made vegan by substituting vegetable broth in place of chicken.
- Keep the veggies in tact for a more hearty version
- Add chicken for some extra protein
- Top with a dollop of greek yogurt!
Makes approximately 8 servings
Nutrition: (soup only)
- 75 calories
- 8 g carbs
- 4 g fat
- 1.3 g protein