By Brittney Bergen
Another great option for cold winter months!
- 4 c. chicken broth (I used homemade bone broth, made by simmering the bones of a chicken overnight)
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 1/2 c uncooked Uncle Ben’s wholegrain brown rice
- 1 1/2 c chopped zucchini
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (a natural anti-inflammatory)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: sourdough crackers (did you know, true sourdough is a fermented food with all those gut-lovin’ probiotics)
- Bring chicken or bone broth to a simmer in a medium-sized pot.
- Add rutabaga, cloves, turmeric, and bay leaf and simmer for 10-20 minutes until rutabaga begins to soften.
- Add in the rice and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini and the chicken, and simmer until both the zuchhini and rutabaga are soft and the rice is cooked.
- Remove the bay leaf, and serve with salt, pepper, and sourdough crackers for a nice touch. (I used Naturally Amped sourdough crackers.)
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Information: (Per serving, without crackers)
- 281 Calories
- 3 g Fat
- 34 g Carbohydrates (2 g Fibre, 3.5 g Sugar)
- 22 g Protein