By Brittney Bergen
I made this as a big meal-prep batch and froze half the patties, but you could easily half the recipe for a regular family of four.
- 6 lbs organic lean ground beef
- 1/8 c. onion, finely minced
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 9 small yams, halved (or larger ones sliced into ¾-1” slices)
- 9 tsp olive oil (I used Oliv Italian Herb with Garlic)
- 4 ½ tbsp. PC Bacon & Maple Barbecue Sauce (optional)
- 4 ½ slice Swiss Cheese (optional)
- 1 ¼ c sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter (optional)
- 9 tsp olive oil mayonnaise (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Great quality beef requires no eggs, bread crumbs, or other binders
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine beef, onion, cloves, cumin, chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands and refridgerate until you have the yams in the oven.
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil
- Brush both sides of yams with Olive oil, and spread out, cut side down on a baking pan
- Bake for 25 min while you prepare the burgers
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, and spread the mushrooms out in the pan.
- Brown the mushrooms, mix in the barbeque sauce, place in a bown, and set aside.
- Remove the beef mixture from the fridge, and roll it into 3 to 4” diameter balls. It should make about 9 (these shrink a lot when you cook them).
- Preheat two large sauce pans to med-high heat.
- Flatten balls on a plate one at a time, and cook three-at-a time in saucepans.
- Cook for 4 min on the first side, and then 2 min on the second side (or until no longer pink).
- Top with mushrooms, and ½ piece of cheese and cover until melted.
I always choose cheese made without “modified milk ingredients,” and surprisingly this Wal-Mart cheese matches that criteria.
- Salt both sides of the baked yams, and use 2 yam slices to make each “bun.”
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil mayo to each bun, add the burger patty, and enjoy!
Makes 9 60-70 g cooked burgers.
Tag @idealisticisabel on Instagram when you make these, and let us know what you think! #macromonday
Soft pizza mozzarella is also really nice on these!
Nutrition Information Per Burger: (with 90 g baked yam)
- 392 Calories
- 22 g Carbohydrates (3 g fibre, 11 g sugar)
- 23 g Fat
- 24 g Protein
Nutrition Information Per Burger without Cheese, Mayo or Mushrooms: (with 90 g baked yam)
- 291 Calories
- 18 g Carbohydrates (3 g fibre, 7 g sugar)
- 15 g Fat
- 21 g Protein
To cut even more fat, try using extra lean turkey or extra lean beef.