By Brittney Bergen
Make a $20 restaurant salad in your house for less than $5, and in less than 20 minutes!
Ingredients: (Makes 2 Salads)
- 1 Mahi Mahi fillet (I used a 4 oz fillet frozen and thawed from Costco)
- 20 almonds, chopped
- Dash of cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- Dash of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 63 g egg whites (egg yolk works better, however, I chose egg whites to keep the salad lower fat)
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ mango, sliced
- 2 tbsp maple balsamic vinegar
- 4 c arugula, or salad greens of choice
- 1/8 c chopped red onion
- 8 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Half your Mahi Mahi fillet.
- Place the chopped almonds onto a small plate, and mix in the cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg whites onto another small plate or into the bottom of a bowl big enough to dip the Mahi Mahi fillet in.
- Preheat a saucepan to medium-high heat on the stove. Melt the coconut oil in the saucepan.
- Stab your Mahi Mahi fillet with a fork and dip into the egg whites and then directly into the almonds. (Since the egg whites aren’t super sticky, you might have to sprinkle more on top and then really press the almonds onto the fillet to get them to stick.)
- Transfer the coated Mahi Mahi fillet to the saucepan and cook for 4 minutes on one side (adding more almonds to the top before flipping if necessary), and then for 3 minutes on the second side (or until the Mahi Mahi flakes with a fork).
- While the Mahi Mahi is cooking, prep your salads by placing half the arugula, red onion, mango, and basil leaves on each of two plates, and drizzle with maple balsamic vinegar.
- Top with the almond crusted Mahi Mahi, and enjoy.
- 310 Calories
- 5 g Fat
- 6 g Carbs (4 g Fibre, 14.5 g Sugar)
- 3g Protein